Why Zhivov Law?
Personal Injury Lawyers in Calgary
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, it’s important to seek the legal representation of personal injury lawyers to protect your interests. As Calgary specialists in personal injury law, we have helped thousands of injured clients receive the financial compensation they deserve. Learn more about us.
Over the years working as Calgary personal injury lawyers we noticed a few common questions people ask. We answered the top three below. Click a question to view the answer. We also wrote an ebook “Confessions of a personal injury lawyer“. Download it today, no email required.
Frequently asked questions
How can a personal injury lawyer help my case?
After determining that you have a valid claim, we will meet with you personally. If you’ve been hospitalized as a result of your injuries, we will come to the hospital to talk with you. We’ll then work directly with the insurance companies involved to advocate on your behalf and negotiate a settlement for you. In the vast majority of cases, clients aren’t required to go to court.
We work to ensure successful outcomes for all our injury cases. Whether the case is very serious, such as a brain or spinal cord injury, or it’s a minor “capped” claim, Zhivov Law will help you.
We take a personal, down-to-earth approach with clients. We’re happy to answer all of your questions and we’re available when you need us.
Finally, we get paid when you get paid. That means there is no fee until your claim is settled.
Do I have an accident injury claim?
To establish an accident injury claim, the following conditions must be met:
1. You’ve suffered a physical, mental or emotional injury.
2. The injury was caused by the fault or negligence of someone else, be it a person, company, municipality, etc.
3. The injury inflicted must have monetary value. You are entitled to damages for pain and suffering, lost wages or loss of housekeeping capacity, out-of-pocket expenses including medical costs, the cost of any future care, the loss of income earning ability in future, etc.
What should I do right after the accident?
1. Seek medical attention as soon as possible, be it at a hospital or walk-in clinic, or with your family physician or chiropractor.
2. Photograph the accident scene, your vehicle and any apparent physical injuries, such as bruises or burns.
3. At the scene of the accident, obtain the other party’s contact and insurance information – licence plate, driver’s licence number, insurance company and insurance policy number. If there are any witnesses, it is essential to collect their names, addresses and telephone numbers.
4. Keep track of your injuries and all expenses related to the accident. Note the dates of doctor visits, keep a “pain diary” and retain all receipts for expenses related to your injuries.
5. If you are contacted by the other party’s insurance adjuster, do not discuss your injuries with him/her or sign any documents for him/her. The adjuster will record everything you say and will try to use it against you. Remember, the adjuster’s job is not to help you, but to ensure that you receive as little compensation as possible.
6. Contact one of the injury lawyers at Zhivov Law by phone or e-mail, or by completing our online claim form.
Watch these short videos where Vladimir Zhivov answers the most common questions asked when dealing with personal injury lawyers in Calgary, AB.
Brett H. (Golf Course Accident)
Irina K. (Motor Vehicle Accident)
Carol K. (Slip and Fall Accident)
David Lyle (5 stars on Google Reviews)
Jill Meier (5 stars on Google reviews)
We’ve written at length on various aspects of personal injury law. In our blog we answer questions people ask. We hope these answers help you understand your options dealing with a personal injury lawyer and next steps when it comes to injury claim settlements.
Let’s say you’re standing on a bus when another vehicle cuts off the bus. The bus driver slams on the brakes. Unless you’re standing near the front and have a clear view out the windshield…
If you have been in a motor vehicle accident (MVA), you might wonder if you will have to pay taxes on the personal injury settlement that is ultimately reached (or the damages award if it goes to trial). After all, a car accident settlement payout can be in the range...
The dangers posed by distracted driving have gained a lot of attention in recent years. As a result, all 10 Canadian provinces now have some form of distracted driving legislation. In this article we'll cover Alberta-specific laws pertaining to distracted driving....
It happens all the time. Defendants have a big incentive to investigate personal injury claims to as great an extent as is allowed by law. Tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of dollars can be at stake. The larger the claim the more likely surveillance...
If someone gets into a car accident with your vehicle and they DID have permission to drive it, then you’re clearly liable. Your insurance company will have to defend the claim and your rates will likely go up if the driver of your vehicle is found at fault. But what...