Your First Steps
If you’ve been involved in an accident and have suffered an injury, your legal rights may be the furthest thing from your mind. You may be confused about your next steps, and you may not realize how important your early actions are to a legal settlement later. Here’s a checklist to help protect your legal interests even before you call a Calgary injury lawyer.
Calgary injury lawyer recommends:
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible, be it at a hospital or walk-in clinic, or with your family physician or chiropractor.
- Photograph the accident scene, your vehicle and any apparent physical injuries, such as bruises or burns.
- At the scene of the accident, obtain the other party’s contact and insurance information – licence plate, driver’s licence number, insurance company and insurance policy number. If there are any witnesses, it is essential to collect their names, addresses and telephone numbers.
- Keep track of your injuries and all expenses related to the accident. Note the dates of doctor visits, keep a “pain diary” and retain all receipts for expenses related to your injuries.
- If you are contacted by the other party’s insurance adjuster, do not discuss your injuries with him/her or sign any documents for him/her. The adjuster will record everything you say and will try to use it against you. Remember, the adjuster’s job is not to help you, but to ensure that you receive as little compensation as possible.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer such as Vladimir Zhivov by phone or e-mail, or by completing our online claim form.